Include sheet name in formula - look at different sheet

EGP2018

Hi

I'm creating an Excel workbook that contains edited info from another (to send to a third party, so hiding is not an option)

Both are made up of numerous tabs.

My current formula is: ='[Z CONFIDENTIAL MASTER EQUIPMENT LIST.xls]B2 01'!C10

Is there a way to replace the bold tab name in the formula above with a reference to the tab in the new sheet, so that it pulls data from the tab of the same name on the original?

For example, if I create a new tab called C2 01, I want it to copy data from tab C2 01 in Z CONFIDENTIAL MASTER EQUIPMENT LIST.

Hope this makes sense?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Well, if you DO create a new tab called "C2 01" in the "Z CONFIDENTIAL blah blah . . . " workbook, then you could indeed amend your existing formula to reference C2 01 instead.
And if you have lots of formulas that all refer to "B2 01", you can use Edit, Find and Replace, to change them all to refer to "C2 01".
But I'm guessing maybe you want something a bit more dynamic than that, in which case can you give more details please on what exactly you want to do ?

Upvote 0
Well, if you DO create a new tab called "C2 01" in the "Z CONFIDENTIAL blah blah . . . " workbook, then you could indeed amend your existing formula to reference C2 01 instead.
And if you have lots of formulas that all refer to "B2 01", you can use Edit, Find and Replace, to change them all to refer to "C2 01".
But I'm guessing maybe you want something a bit more dynamic than that, in which case can you give more details please on what exactly you want to do ?

Thanks Gerald,

Yes - something a bit more dynamic would be good.

Find and replace would work but is extremely time consuming for me to create the initial and difficult to manage with other users.

Every cell within the sheet points to it's corresponding cell in the original.
Ideally, I'd just like the ability to copy a tab and update the tab name and let Excel do the rest.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back