Personal.xlsb visible but not opening.

tonybr

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all. I hope you can help me as I am having a bad, bad day

I was editing a long macro earlier in VB editor and when I returned to it, my macros have all disappeared.

The PERSONAL.XLSB file is still visible in C:\Users\tt*******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART which I hope is a positive.

If I try and open this file from the location above (instead of in Excel), it opens and if I click on VBA editor, I can see the modules (over 200 of them). I am unable to click on any of the modules to see their contents though.

I'm unsure why the filename at the top is PERSONAL.XLSB -[RibbonX (Code)].

I've checked that PERSONAL.XLSB isn't disabled in add-ins and it is not.

Can anyone save my job please?!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi,
File can be corrupted.
Not sure if it's possible to fix it but I can try if you upload personal.xlsb and provide the link to it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
File can be corrupted.
Not sure if it's possible to fix it but I can try if you upload personal.xlsb and provide the link to it

A bit more info. I emailed the file home an I can open I there which is a great relief as at least can now copy the code.

So it appears that it is Excel itself that has corrupted. On my work laptop, I cannot create a macro at all without the message 'the syntax of this name isn't correct'. It doesn't matter what I call the macro, nothing works.

Upvote 0
Also, when I opened the file at home, the module I was working on previously said something like 'unable to compile code as too long' so I guess this is what caused the problem.

Upvote 0
Glad you have sorted it out!
200 code modules looks huge. It's known that each VBA module has 64K limit, but not sure about total code size limit.
Instead of putting code into the personal.xlsb only, you may also put it into AddIns to split code if its total size is an issue.
Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back