Formula for when a number is greater than or less than by a certain value

pnr8uk

Hello all

I am stuck with what seems a fairly simple thing to do but my tiny brain has given up now.

So I want to create an IF statement to work out IF a value in the same column is less than another value in the same column by 2, 3, 4 etc., any number really.

so my column looks like this:

What I want to do is when the second number in this case 3.85 is less than the third number 5.00 by 2

I can't seem to figure it out for the life of me.

Any ideas

The numbers will always be in the one column.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Do you need something like this?

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:105.5px;" /><col style="width:102.65px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >B</td><td >C</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; text-align:right; ">2.84</td><td >no</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; text-align:right; ">3.85</td><td >no</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; text-align:right; ">5.00</td><td >is less by 2</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; text-align:right; ">13.50</td><td >no</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >C2</td><td >=IF(B2<B3-2,"is less by 2","no")</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That really works thank you.

I did have that kind of idea but it just seemed way too simple.

Thanks again

Paul

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back