conditional format

coltheplumb

hi all nice and easy one for you.. I need a cell with a date entered to fill with a colour when that date is reached and remain that colour until a new date is entered into that cell.
all help appreciated

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Assuming A1 is the cell to highlight, try this formula for a CF rule.

=A1<=TODAY()

Upvote 0
How about you give us some more information
no that's not working ?
does really tell us much ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry I asked a question, someone gave we an answer and I replied "no that's not working" I thought that would have spoken for itself??. but hey ho with =A1<=TODAY() as the formula in conditional formatting does not make the cell change colour if date is later than date in cell ??

Upvote 0
Do you want the cell to change colour if the date in that cell is before, or equal to, today's date?
If so what cell do you want to change colour as the formula that jasonb75 supplied works for me.

Upvote 0
ok so I enter a date say 10/9/19 in say A1 so that cell will remain white with just the date until 10/9/19 when the cell fills with a colour and remains like that until another date is added say 1/2/20 and when it comes to 1/2/20 that cell fills with colour once again

Upvote 0
That's exactly what the formula that jasonb75 supplied does.
Is your date in A1 and when you created the rule did you select a format to apply?

Upvote 0
Sorry I asked a question, someone gave we an answer and I replied "no that's not working" I thought that would have spoken for itself??
The answer given works based on the question asked, if you want an improved answer then you need to improve the question.

From the way you phrased your original question, it is implied that you're entering the new date in the same cell. In which case, If the formula that I suggested doesn't work then it sounds like your dates are not valid. Perhaps the cell is formatted as text?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back