Displayed date difference starts counting from one day again whenever a date difference exceeds one month

wrecclesham

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to calculate the date/time difference between two cells, to be displayed in days, hours and minutes.

Right now, if I simply use

<code><code>=A1-B1</code></code>

The cell displaying the difference has the following custom formatting:

<code><code>d "days" h "hours" m "minutes"</code></code>

The problem I'm having is that, as soon as the difference exceeds 32 days, the difference is displayed as 1 day and starts counting back up again from there.

How can I get a displayed date difference to show a result in days that is able to exceed 31 days?

I don't want to display the extra difference in months or years. The number of days should simply be able to continue to increase beyond 32 days.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Code:
=TEXT(INT(A1-B1),"0")&" Days "&TEXT(MOD(A1-B1,1),"H")&" Hours "&TEXT(MOD(A1-B1,1),"m")&" Minutes"

This is not a value but a text result

Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

If anyone can figure out a way to do this and return the result as a value, that would be awesome.

Upvote 0
If anyone can figure out a way to do this and return the result as a value, that would be awesome.

Well, a string is a "value". Presumably, you mean a numeric value, using cell formatting to display days.

It cannot be done!

You need to use two cells:

1. One cell with the numeric result of =A1-B1 formatted as General or Number; and

2. One with (simply) =INT(A1-B1) & TEXT(A1-B1, " ""days"" h ""hours"" m") & " minutes"

Note the use of a pair of double-quotes within the TEXT second parameter.

And of course, you can replace A1-B1 with a reference to the numeric value in the first cell (#1).

-----

Your original format does not work because "d" formats the day of the month, not the number of days.

It starts over at 1 after 31 days because 32 is interpreted as 1 Feb 1900.

Recall that dates are stored as number of days since 31 Dec 1899. Thus, 1 is 1 Jan 1900; 2 is 2 Jan 1900; and 31 is 31 Jan 1900.

So when the difference in days is zero to 31, "d" displays what you expect only by coincidence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=INT(A1-B1) & TEXT(A1-B1, " ""days"" h ""hours"" m") & " minutes"

Alternatively (with =A1-B1 in C1):

=INT(C1) & " days " & HOUR(C1) & " hours " & MINUTE(C1) & " minutes"

That has an advantage of being able to customize the plurals, to wit:

=INT(C1) & IF(INT(C1)=1, " day ", " days ") & HOUR(C1) & IF(HOUR(C1)=1, " hour ", " hours ")
& MINUTE(C1) & IF(MINUTE(C1)=1, " minute", " minutes")

In any case, it is not necessary to write MOD(C1,1) in order to separate the time part from the date part.

Upvote 0
@joeu2004

That works perfectly!!

I was actually wondering if I could somehow customize the plurals but thought it might be too difficult.

I've adapted it slightly. Originally, I used a hidden helper column for (A1-B1) but then realized I could include it in my C column formula and do away with the helper column altogether:

<code>=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",(INT(A1-B1) & IF(INT(A1-B1)=1, " day ", " days ") & HOUR(A1-B1) & IF(HOUR(A1-B1)=1, " hour ", " hours ")))</code>

I also decided that I don't want the minutes displayed after all, so I removed that part.

The plural customization is a very nice touch.

THANKS!!! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back