Allow filtering on a protected sheet where the column names are not in Row 1

intsoccersuperstar

I have a protected file that has its column names in B6:K6 and data below. It is protected with the password "secret password".

When the user hits a button, I have code that unlocks the sheet like so...

Worksheets("MyOutput").Unprotect "secret password"

My code then does its business, and then to re-protect the sheet I have

Worksheets("MyOutput").Protect "secret password"

Users are allowed to select the locked cells, but they would also like to be able to filter. Remember, the column titles are in cells B6:K6, not the first row.

How can I go about allowing them to filter? I've googled but all suggestions seem to be dependent on the column names being in the first row.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
As long as you set the autofilter before protecting the sheet, you should be ok

Upvote 0
Thanks, Fluff. So what I tried is this: I unprotected the sheet, selected cells B6:K6, went to the Data tab and hit Filter (is this "AutoFilter"? I've always just called it "Filter"), then re-protected the sheet.

Unfortunately, it still does not allow filtering after the VBA code re-protects it. The cells B6:K6 can be selected, and the filter drop down arrows are present, but cannot be clicked on. It acts as if they're not there.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Upvote 0
When you reprotected the sheet, did you check the box that says "Use AutoFilter"?

Upvote 0
I did not. After trying it, it lets me use the filters with the sheet protected before I run my VBA code. But after I run it, I still lose the ability to use the filters after the VBA code re-protects it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You will need to record a macro of you protecting the sheet, that way it will show you the code to allow filtering which you can then add to your existing code.

Upvote 0
So that ALMOST works...it doesn't seem to like PASSWORD protection. When I record the macro, I get the following:

Sub ProtectionMacro()
'
' ProtectionMacro Macro
'

'
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Range("B6:K6").Select
Selection.AutoFilter
Range("B6").Select
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True _
, AllowFiltering:=True
End Sub

Notice that my "secret password" is not part of the recording, even though I put it in to unprotect it and re-protect it.

Using the following code works:

Range("B6:K6").Select
Selection.AutoFilter

ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True _
, AllowFiltering:=True

But if I try to put my "secret password" anywhere into that ActiveSheet.Protect statement I get a "Compile errror: Expected: end of statement" error.

This will work fine enough for our purposes, as the users of this will not be trying to unprotect it with or without a password. But in a perfect world, I'd like to be able to assign my "secret password" to it if possible.

Upvote 0
Yeah, not sure why the recorder no longer records the password, but you can simply add this to the end of the protect line of code
Code:
Password:="secret password"

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back