Time conversion help

Nunya1

Hi,

Hoping Toadstool will see this as he knows the history of what I have been trying to do. But if anyone can help I would be so grateful.

I am doing timesheets and have formulas in now that work for adding hours over multiple rows and then multiplying it by 1.5 and 2.

What I need now is I have it set up as below;

Start Time Break Finish time
08:00 1:00 17:00
09:00 00:30 17:00

With the break column if I type in 00:30 it works if I type :30 then it doesn't recognize it and the formulas surrounding it don't work or if I was to type in .5 it won't recognise that either.

I need to get the break time to convert when it is typed in into time format but even if I format the cells it isn't working. This should be so simple but it just isn't working for me. I am using Google Excel Sheets

Help would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi Nunya1,

As I responded to your PM...

I'm sorry but I don't use Google Sheets (as I find it very slow) but I see two options:

1. Use decimal hours for the break (e.g. 15 minutes entered as .25) but then you'll need to change all your other calculations to convert that back to parts of an hour.

2. Select the smallest unit which can be offered for a break and do a Data Validation list offering those increments.
e.g. 00:15,00:30,00:45,01:00,01:15,01:30,01:45,02:00 and etc. if they may have long breaks.

Upvote 0
Yeah I did see your response before thank you. I have just gone with the data validation that will be the easiest for everyone I think.

And finally I can say these fkn timesheets are done :biggrin: thank you it would have taken me at least 2 weeks to work this out by myself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back