How to assign a numerical value to a name

SHANNONHELP

Please help, I’m a excel beginner and have tried everything I could to figure my problem out.
I am trying to create a spreadsheet for a team. I want to be able to get an average rating between my players. So I’m trying to list 1 players name and their rating and then be able to list all players they play against for each match and get the average rating of the 2 players. But I would like to be able to just type in the players name and it have their rating as the necessary numerical value in order for the equation to work. I hope I’m explaining this clearly enough. Thanks for any and all help.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Welcome to the lounge. If I understand you correctly, I think you probably want a 2-column table (e.g., A1:B11) which has a header in A1 and B1 then the player's name in column A and the respective ranking in column B.
Then in D2, say, create a drop down to pick a player from that list. In E2, use: =VLOOKUP(D2,A1:B11,2,false) to get the respective ranking for that player.

You can do the similar thing for the other players.

Am I understanding you correctly? If so, does this get you started?

Upvote 0
Kweaver, thank you so much for your help. I did try this but did not get it to work. I will try it again following your direction and see if that does the trick. Hopefully I just put something in wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPJ_Harper

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back