VBA: Find and replace words in column

FryGirl

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've tried to craft some VBA to find and replace an array of words but this macro replaces words not in order.

I started with code found here. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/the-code-vault/2014/4/14/find-and-replace-all

Basically I'm adding an "S" to the end of certain works to make them plural. I do have at least one word which will need an "ES" to makes it plural.[/FONT]

Code:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Sub MultiFindReplace()
    Dim rplcList    As Variant
    Dim fndList     As Variant
    Dim MyCell      As Range
    Dim x           As Long

fndList = Array("MANAGE", "REVIEW", "COLLECT", "DEFINE", "DETERMINE", "PROCESS")
    rplcList = Array("MANAGES", "REVIEWS", "COLLECTS", "DEFINES", "DETERMINES", "PROCESSES")

For Each MyCell In Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        For x = LBound(fndList) To UBound(fndList)
            MyCell.Replace What:=fndList(x), Replacement:=rplcList, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
        Next x
    Next MyCell

End Sub
[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Maybe this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] MultiFindReplace1()
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] rplcList    [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] fndList     [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] MyCell      [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] x           [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]

fndList = Array([COLOR=brown]"MANAGE"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"REVIEW"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"COLLECT"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"DEFINE"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"DETERMINE"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"PROCESS"[/COLOR])
    rplcList = Array([COLOR=brown]"MANAGES"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"REVIEWS"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"COLLECTS"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"DEFINES"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"DETERMINES"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"PROCESSES"[/COLOR])

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] x = LBound(fndList) [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(fndList)
            Range([COLOR=brown]"C2"[/COLOR], Range([COLOR=brown]"C"[/COLOR] & Rows.count).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp)).Replace What:=fndList(x), Replacement:=rplcList(x), _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR], SearchFormat:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR], ReplaceFormat:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR] x
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0
I've searched a bit, Is there a way to reference the FindList & Replace List to a range.

ex. fndList = Range("I2:I7")

Thank You

Upvote 0
I've searched a bit, Is there a way to reference the FindList & Replace List to a range.

ex. fndList = Range("I2:I7")

Maybe this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] MultiFindReplace2()
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
        [I][COLOR=seagreen]'find list in col I & replace list in col J, in Range("I2:J7")[/COLOR][/I]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] c = Range([COLOR=brown]"I2:J7"[/COLOR])
        [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] c.Rows.count
            Range([COLOR=brown]"C2"[/COLOR], Range([COLOR=brown]"C"[/COLOR] & Rows.count).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp)).Replace What:=c.Cells(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), Replacement:=c.Cells(i, [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]), _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR], SearchFormat:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR], ReplaceFormat:=[COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR] i
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back