Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

My data is like this:

• In one column (normally D, but could move) I have a 3 digit country code
  • Stored on another sheet, in A:B, I have a digit country code (A) and a 2 digit corresponding code (B)

I want part of my macro to lookup the 3 digit code and replace it with the 2 in the same cell.

I came up with this based on my reading around:

Code:
With ws1
        TableRows = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
        Set CountryColumn = .Range("A1:Z1").Find("Country")
        CountryNumber = CountryColumn.Column

For Counter = 2 To TableRows

LookupResult = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Cells(Counter, CountryColumn).Value, ws2.Range("A:B"), 2, 0)
            .Cells(CountryCell.Row, CountryNumber).Value = LookupResult

Next Counter

End With

(You can assume all of the variables are set properly elsewhere)

I had this working fine when the code was:

Code:
[COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]For[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]Each[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] aCell [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#101094][FONT=inherit]In[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Range[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"D2:D" & TableRows[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])[/FONT][/COLOR]<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">[COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
            Lookupresult[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]=[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] Application[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]WorksheetFunction[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]VLookup[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]aCell[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Value[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] ws2[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit].[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]Range[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]([/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#7D2727][FONT=inherit]"A:B"[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]),[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=inherit][COLOR=#7d2727]2[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit],0[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit])
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#574123].Cells(CountryCell.Row, CountryNumber).Value = LookupResult[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit]      
[/FONT][/COLOR]</code>Next[COLOR=#303336][FONT=inherit] aCell[/FONT][/COLOR]

But this relied on the source data being in column D which can't always be relied upon.

I then tried to turn that around to be:

Code:
[COLOR=#101094]For[/COLOR][COLOR=#101094]Each[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336] aCell [/COLOR][COLOR=#101094]In[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336].[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336]Range[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336]([/COLOR][COLOR=#7d2727]2, CountryColumn : Tablerows, CountryColumn[/COLOR][COLOR=#303336])[/COLOR]

But this didn't work.

Also any suggestions on a better method e.g. using Match would be welcomed!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Worked perfectly thanks!
Looks like I need to brush up on my cell and referencing knowledge!

Upvote 0
Not sure how many rows of data you might have but another option may be to process all the rows together
Code:
With ws1
  TableRows = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
  Set CountryColumn = .Range("A1:Z1").Find("Country")
  CountryNumber = CountryColumn.Column
  With .Range(.Cells(2, "AZ"), .Cells(TableRows, "AZ"))
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC" & CountryNumber & ",'" & ws2.Name & "'!C1:C2,2,0)"
    .Copy
    .Parent.Cells(2, CountryNumber).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    .ClearContents
  End With
End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back