sorting jobs list

Ian1976

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
Could somene tell me if there is a way to sort a list of jobs that are required to be done over a monthly period (per day)

I have a list of tools and how many hours they have been used for, i'd like to be able to plan how many jobs i can do per day ( 3,4,5,6) is there a formula i can use that would automaticaly sort them then start filling in the next days jobs until the list if tools is complete?

toolhoursper day14/09/1915/09/1916/09/19
0457893-123 (changeable)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
G'day Ian,

I've read over your request a few times and I'm still unsure as to what you are trying to achieve, and unfortunately the example you have included is not helping me.

For a start:
1. where do the 'hours' come from, and what is the relevance of the data (and how is -12 achieved)?
2. what is the significance of '3(changeable)' in the per day column?
3. how are the tool numbers assigned to a date column
4. what is meant by 'until the list of tools is complete'?

cheers

shane

Upvote 0
Hi mate,
Sorry about the lack of info,
1) hours will be on a separate sheet from an imported cvs file
2) the significance of the changeable figure will be if I can service 3 tools a day everyday I’ll set it at 3 to get 3 tools in that days column for the whole period, if I have other work planned in that week I may have to set it lower to 1 to only return 1 tool per day for the whole period!
3) the tools aren’t currently assigned in any way to a date, that’s my ultimate goal, I’d like them to automatically assign themselves, the csv file on say sheet 2 I would use a formula just to put them on sheet 1 for visibility and tidiness
4) I assumed that i may need a macro or code as I have about 70 tools so once all 70 are planned and allocated to a date the macro/code needs to stop?

Thanks Shane!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification Ian,

Now down to the nitty gritty - This is what I understand you want.

You have a list of tools that have been used for varying lengths of time and you need to schedule regular servicing of those tools across a month.
You would like the schedule to be automatically generated based on the number of tools, the time used and how many tools you estimate you can service per day.
If other work interrupts the schedule, you want to be able to alter the number of tools per day and have the schedule be automatically adjusted

My assumptions:
Tools only make it on to your list once they need servicing - (Are they all assigned at the beginning of the month, or do they appear randomly through the month?)
All tools on the list are actually available for any given day they are on the schedule
There is some means of removing tools from the list once they have been serviced i.e. an hours used of zero

As you are probably beginning to see, there are a lost of structural questions that need to be answered in order to achieve what you want, and ultimately it may be in a form that is not what you currently envisage. For example, it may actually be easier to produce a list of tools in priority order and assign a date, rather than as list of dates and assign tools.

If the ultimate answer relies on VBA than I will be of no use whatsoever as that is still pretty much unchartered waters for me - but we are not there yet

Cheers

shane

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back