Dependent drop menu with formula

gta1216

Board Regular
I'm trying to create an excel sheet with 4 columns. Column A will have a dropdown list of choices. Column B will have a dropdown list of either yes or no. Column C will be the weight you need to enter. Column D will show the value after it auto calculate. On a separate tab, there would be different rate (example: minimum charge $500, 100-200 lbs: $400 per lb, 200-300 lbs: $300 per lb, maximum $1000) depending on the value you chose from column A, and whether you choose yes or no in column B.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
how does column A relate to the calculation and what does Yes or No do to the calculation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's complicated to explain column A and B. So let's pretend I own a butcher shop (obviously I don't). Column A will list the diff types of meat (beef, chicken, pork, lamb). Column B will list whether the meat need to be trimmed. The user will choose the type of meat, trimmed or not, and enter the pounds purchased. Diff meat will have diff price per pound. Trimmed and untrimmed will be diff price. There's a min and max prices, and diff weigh range will cost diff per pound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My issue is how do column A and/or column B influence the weight lookup to determine the value?

If the Rate sheet looks like this and you enter a weight of, say, 275, the value is $400.

Range1Range2Rate
099$300.00
100200$500.00
201300$400.00
3011.00E+06$300.00

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64" span="3"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
How does the yes/no change that, if it does?

If not, then the value column (D) would be the following (taking into consideration you said 1000 was the max): =MIN(1000,VLOOKUP(C2,Rates!$A$2:$C$5,3,TRUE))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back