Match Function Problem

cookeetree

G’day Excel Gods,

I have multiple files that reference a single MASTERFILEfor specific data. Traditionally, I have used a standard VLOOKUP formula, but this runs into problems if you want to add a column in the middle of the reference sheet later. It throws out all of the reference column numbers after this new column.

In what I thought was a moment of brilliance, I realised I could use MATCH to return the column number and inserted this into my VLOOKUP formulas. I believed that the cell reference in the MATCH function would automatically update if I added a column to the MASTERFILE.

I was wrong.

Unless the files that reference the MASTERFILE are open while adding the new column, they don't update. I’ve tried making them absolute references, I’ve tried making them relative and I’ve tried making them mixed. Nothing works unless the file referencing the MASTERFILE is open at the same time.

Is there a better way of doing this? Is there a way making what I’m currently doing work without having to open EVERY file that references the MASTERFILE???

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You can't do anything with formulas. This is a flaw in external appeals.
The only solution that comes to my mind is to run a macro before inserting the column, which will open all files that should update.

Artik

Upvote 0
You can't do anything with formulas. This is a flaw in external appeals.
The only solution that comes to my mind is to run a macro before inserting the column, which will open all files that should update.

Artik
Oh, no! :(

Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0
An alternative to (VLOOKUP) formulas are queries. These work with header names (or could be 'select all', which is independent of header names). So inserting extra columns is not an issue. Changing header names might be.

If using queries, watch out for changing the file path for the master file. With VBA there is more control though they can be done without VBA. For example, set the dependent workbooks to have their queries update automatically on file open. This technology has been around for 20+ years but if you're not familiar with it will need a little learning. And if you're too far down the track with the current setup it might be too late to change.

A slight variation on the idea is to have the master data in an mdb file. [Or, I guess txt, or csv.]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back