Use color table number column to set background color

wdjohnson1976

Hello everybody, I'd like to use a vba (or formula, whatever is the less resource intensive) to set fill color of a cell based on a column value. For example, if I have a column with number 1 then fill the adjacent column with the color table value of that number.

I've grown quite frustrated with poking around in the color table and finding that several different colors have the same numerical value. Maybe filling them based on number will be more straight forward!

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
What cells are your numbers in? Or are you simply looking to show all of the ColorIndex values & colours?

Upvote 0
Hello, thanks for the quick reply. The cells with the color table numbers may be in various locations based on what project I'm in I suppose. What I'd like it to do is kind of a vlookup where I can type in the number in one cell, move right one cell and enter a function that would look to the left and fill based on that number. Seems tricky as it's easy to get the color value out of a colored cell but more difficult to write a color to a cell based on varying values. Maybe deals with some conditional formatting? I'm not that good with VBA, and limited in advanced formulas so please forgive my ignorance!

Upvote 0
Try this. The macro searches column 3 ("C") starting at row 2 and highlight the row based on the value in column 3.

Enter 1 in C2, 2 in C3 and 3 in C4 and run the macro to test.
Code:
Sub AlphaRowColor()

Dim Row_ As Integer
Dim Column_ As Integer
Dim ColumnStart_ As Integer
Dim ColumnEnd_ As Integer
Dim LastRow_ As Integer
Dim Loop_ As Integer

'Paul Pfau 2019

Row_ = 2     '      Row to start highlighting in
Column_ = 3     '     Column to test
ColumnStart_ = 4     '     Highlight from here...
ColumnEnd_ = 6     '     ...to here
LastRow_ = Cells(Rows.Count, Column_).End(xlUp).Row
'––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
For Loop_ = 1 To LastRow_
If Cells(Row_, Column_) = "" Then
Exit Sub
'––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
ElseIf Cells(Row_, Column_) = "1" Then: Range(Cells(Row_, ColumnStart_), Cells(Row_, ColumnEnd_)).Interior.Color = RGB(225, 200, 200)
ElseIf Cells(Row_, Column_) = "2" Then: Range(Cells(Row_, ColumnStart_), Cells(Row_, ColumnEnd_)).Interior.Color = RGB(200, 225, 200)
ElseIf Cells(Row_, Column_) = "3" Then: Range(Cells(Row_, ColumnStart_), Cells(Row_, ColumnEnd_)).Interior.Color = RGB(200, 200, 225)
End If
Row_ = Row_ + 1
Next Loop_
End Sub

Upvote 0
You cannot do what you are asking for with formulas or UDFs. It will need to be either conditional formatting with one rule for every colour you want to use, or a macro, but both of these need to know where to look.
On option would be to select the cells with the numbers and use
Code:
Sub wdjohnson()
   Dim Cl As Range
   For Each Cl In Selection
      Cl.Offset(, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = Cl.Value
   Next Cl
End Sub
The numbers must between 1 & 56 inclusive

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, it does work for coloring adjacent cells but does not use the ColorIndex to define the color. The below post from Fluff does work!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back