odd cell behavior: can overwrite cell contents but not edit cell contents

AnnaHansen

Board Regular
My users are running into a problem that I can't solve. In one particular cell they cannot edit cell contents. They can write in whatever they want - but only by replacing the existing contents.

So for example say it contains the string "Workpaper" and my user wants to make it say "Workpaper B." They should be able to hit F2 or click into the formula bar and simply add "{space}B" to the end of the string. However, when they begin to edit, the existing text disappears. If they hit ESC it is restored. If they hit enter (without typing any additional text) it is cleared (like the clear contents command). They have to type "Workpaper B" in full.

The cell is not locked and the worksheet is not protected, and I'm not even aware of any protection setting that would result in this behavior. Trying to google about it I just get results regarding the insert key on the keyboard, or overtype mode, which is not the same thing I'm seeing.

What's more it's only happening with this ONE cell, nowhere else.

Any ideas?????

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Is there any event code in the code module for the worksheet that cell is in (not a general code module... the worksheet code module)?

Upvote 0
So the sheet was protected? Because the only way I know to use the Hidden property is to protect the sheet.. but then you wouldn't see the text in the formula bar.
Unless you are referring to another setting?

Upvote 0
When the locked property is off, but the sheet is protected, the user can still edit the cell (depending on the options chosen when protecting the sheet). When formula hidden is turned on, Excel doesn't let the user see the previously existing text when you go into edit mode. So they can edit it but Excel clears out the formula bar so they can't see what was there before. Makes sense when you're talking about a formula in the cell contents but sure is baffling when you've strings on the brain and not formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sheet was not protected. The hidden setting is in cell properties and prevents the user from being able to see a formula in the formula bar - in this case, the 'formula' was a text string.

Upvote 0
Is there any event code in the code module for the worksheet that cell is in (not a general code module... the worksheet code module)?

Thank you for looking - we don't allow any sheet level code modules, but we do have a heck of a lot of modules that do various things with the cell locked property and the sheet protection options - that's also where my mind went first!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back