userInterfaceOnly leaves cells unlocked

Swemhi

Hi, I'm trying to leave certain cells/functions open for user input, but keep running into a problem I can't figure out. I've been through endless forum threads, but none has been able to help me so far...

I have a workbook with 4 sheets, two of which are VeryHidden and not relevant. The third one is quite simple with only some cells allowing input through data validation drop-downs. I've locked/unlocked the cells I want and they are working fine.

The last sheet however is a bit more complicated. It contains some cells that the user should be able unlocked, some that are only hidden and some that are locked and hidden. On top of this, there are grouped columns/rows and some columns that is possible to filter (C11:BW403, with row C containing the headers). To allow for this, I have this code in Workbook_Open

Code:
Public Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Enable Grouping and Filtering
    For Each ws In Sheets
        With ws
            .Unprotect "aPassword"
            .EnableOutlining = True
            .Protect "aPassword", AllowFiltering:=True, userInterfaceOnly:=True
        End With
    Next

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Now, while the menu options etc. are grayed out, it's still possible to write in cells that I have said should be locked. The issues are only occuring in cells within my filter area (so B11 and BQ404 are still locked for instance).

Some cells are merged (I know, I know...), but since I have merged cells outside this area that works and non-merged cells inside the area that don't work, I don't think this is the issue. I also have merged cells on the third sheet and there are no issues there.

I've also tried .EnableAutoFilter, but it has the same result

Does anyone have an idea of what I'm missing?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I managed to figure out a partial solution. In order to allow the filtering, I had the range C11:BW403 in 'Allow Edit Ranges' that apparently will allow editing the cells as well. If I removed it, grouping and filtering stopped working. However, when I changed it to only C11 all functions worked as I want them to. The issue remains in C11, so it might not be a full solution, but for my purposes it's sufficient.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back