How to change dynamically excel external file name change daily as the date

nareshk00

Hi all,
I am a beginner to this technology VBA Excel.

I faced a problem in the project

• Read an external file and look for a Specific String (This external file name will change daily – as the Date – which will be part of the file name – will be dynamic)
  • Return a Value from the 8th Column for the Matching Text

When I try to hardcode the file name (with the Date) – there is a Value returned.

But when the file name is Dynamic (such as Today() – 1 etc.), then the function does not work.

See more details below:

• I am looking for a DYNAMIC Value in the Quoted/RED highlighted area in the function below:

• =IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE",'\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_
    .xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report'!$A$4:$H$40,8,FALSE),2)

• I am looking for the TEXT Match for “NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE” within the file – and then returning a Total Value (the Net Balance) as a result.
  • I am trying to have the FILENAME (Date) – Highlighted in Quoted/RED above – change on a Daily basis!

----Thank you to all

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You need this to replace the red bit:
Code:
&TEXT(TODAY(),"yyyymmdd")&
So, the whole thing would be:
Code:
=IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE",'\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_"&TEXT(TODAY(),"yyyymmdd")&".xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report'!$A$4:$H$40,8,FALSE),2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Jmacleary for your response.

But what I am looking exactly is I have 2 excel file(Book1.xls and 2. Proc_summary_DB_Dly_20190918.xlsx under that DB Processing_Summary_Report there) Now i trying to display the value presented in Proc_summary_DB_Dly_20190918.xlsx file have a row contain "NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE" and in that row in 8 column contain value, the value that i want to return in Book1.xls file. The function i wrote for this is
=IF(FileExists(),VLOOKUP("NET EFFECT ON TRIAL BALANCE", CONCATENATE("'", "\\internal-de1\DE-PHS-Collections\DB\Processing_Summary\[PROC_SUMMARY_DB_DLY_"&TEXT(TODAY()-1,"YYYYMMDD")&".xlsx]DB Processing_Summary_Report", "'","!$A$4:$H$40"),8,FALSE),2)

I have a problem with single quotations when i am using the evaluate formula under formula tab

Can you help me if you understand the problem.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back