importing text file

biglb79

how do I keep the text format columns for columns A and X when importing a csv or text file to excel? when I used to use Excel 2010 I could pick the format for each column but I don't see that option when clicking data>from text/csv file and then it creates a query

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
One option is to change the file extension to "txt", and then instead of using "Data -> From Text/CSV", go to File Open, and browse to the file and open it that way.
That will invoke the Import Wizard where you have all that control.

Upvote 0
this may be a dumb question, but how do I change the file extension to txt? it doesn't work if I just add .txt to the end of the file

Upvote 0
Go into Windows Explorer, browse to the file, select it, right-click on it, select "Rename" and change the ".csv" to ".txt".

Upvote 0
Hi, I have the same problem when I insert a text file to excel. As I chose Data tab --> Get Data From Text/CSV , the Text Import Wizard did not appear instead of an import table as I import an database from access. I did try another way as you suggest by clicking to File tab --> Open, then choosing a browser to the text file; The Text Import Wizard appeared. However, my question is: Why the Text Import Wizard does not appear as choosing Get Data from Text/CVS? Thank you!

Upvote 0
However, my question is: Why the Text Import Wizard does not appear as choosing Get Data from Text/CVS? Thank you!
That is a whole new question, and you would be better off posting it to a new thread, instead of an old one, so it appears as a new, unanswered question.

I would give you an answer if I knew, but all I can really say about it is, I guess that is the way Microsoft made it work. I don't pretend to understand their reasoning behind it.
One of my biggest pet peeves is that by default, Microsoft set Excel to be the default program to open CSV files. That often causes problems, like leading zeroes to be dropped, etc. One of the first things I do when I get a new computer is change it so that a Text Editor (like NotePad) is the default program to open CSV files. Then you see the files and data as it really exists, not in Excel after Excel may have done some conversions on some of the data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back