Help with Copy Method (Macro)

Gregm66

Board Regular
Hi everyone,

I use a macro to update certain worksheets in a workbook across 2 computers.. The problem is that i have 4 different macros for each sheet, I know i can put them all into 1 Macro to achieve this, except upon update because both workbooks are not always containing the same data it can destroy new data from one book to the other, My question is.... Is it possible to write all the VBA into one macro and have this macro ask the user if they wish to update each sheet as it gets to it...

IE: Click update Button :- Then a message box with "Do you wish to Update - Members"... then 2 buttons 1 for Yes and the other for No...
then the vba continues to the next Worksheet.. then same message box again and so on...

Hope this is easy enough to understand..code im using is below..

Code:
Sub Copy_SecMembers()

Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Members").Range("A2:F2300").Copy _
    Workbooks("GBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Members").Range("A2")
End Sub

Code:
Sub Copy_SecClubLedger()

Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Club Ledger").Range("A2:H105001").Copy _
    Workbooks("GBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Club Ledger").Range("A2")
End Sub

Code:
Sub Copy_SecMinutes()

Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Minutes").Range("A2:K106").Copy _
    Workbooks("GBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Minutes").Range("A2")
End Sub

Thanks for any help in adavance

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Code:
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Update_Sheets()

[color=darkblue]If[/color] MsgBox("Do you wish to Update 'Members'", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "") = vbYes Then
        Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Members").Range("A2:F2300").Copy _
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]

[color=darkblue]If[/color] MsgBox("Do you wish to Update 'Club Ledger'", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "") = vbYes Then
        Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Club Ledger").Range("A2:H105001").Copy _

[color=darkblue]If[/color] MsgBox("Do you wish to Update 'Minutes'", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "") = vbYes Then
        Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Minutes").Range("A2:K106").Copy _

[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
Hi AlphaFrog,

Your code does the job nicely, although i should have clarified this in my first post, if i click yes to say update Club Ledger it will update the ledger, but then it stops, i need it to continue to the next msgbox wich would be update Minutes, and lke wise from the begining, until it has reached the very last update...

Sorry for the confusion

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog,

Below is the code i have done, although it keeps stopping after doing 1 update, select yes to update "Members" it updates but then does not continue to the next question, i need it to continue asking untill all question have been answered either Yes or No....

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Copy_SecFeesPaid()

Dim answer As Integer

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Fees Paid ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

If answer = vbYes Then

Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Fees Paid").Range("A2:J100001").Copy _
        Workbooks("GBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Fees Paid").Range("A2")

Else
        If answer = vbNo Then

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Members ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

If answer = vbYes Then

Else
        If answer = vbNo Then

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Minutes ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)
    If answer = vbYes Then

Else
        If answer = vbNo Then

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Club Ledger ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

If answer = vbYes Then

End If
        End If

End If
        End If

End If
        End If

End If

MsgBox ("Updates Completed !")
End Sub

Upvote 0
The code I suggested works.

You nested your IF statements, and you didn't use proper indentation so it's not obvious you nested the IF statements.

This is your unchanged code with proper indentation to help illustrate the nesting.

Code:
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] answer    [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Integer[/COLOR]

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Fees Paid ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

[COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] answer = vbYes [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]

Workbooks("EBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Fees Paid").Range("A2:J100001").Copy _
                Workbooks("GBCPSC_Ver_3.2.2.xlsm").Worksheets("Fees Paid").Range("A2")

[COLOR=darkblue]Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] answer = vbNo [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Members ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Minutes ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

answer = MsgBox("Do you wish to update Club Ledger ?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)

[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]

MsgBox ("Updates Completed !")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks AlphaFrog,

I see what you mean with the nesting.. i am still relatively new to writting vba, so i do get a little confused when i am writing code..
i have re run the code with the changes and yes the code works it asks if i wish to update, i click "Yes" for the first one "update Fees Paid", and it will update that worksheet, as soon as it has updated that worksheet, it then jumps straight to the end of the code and shows "Updates Complete" it misses the rest completely...

Is there something here that i am missing?

Regards

Greg

Upvote 0
Did you try my code... unchanged?

Hi AlphaFrog,

Sorry for the late reply, yes i have re ran your code unchanged, and it worked fine 5 times then stopped after the first update, and then worked fine again, but no problems there just a small clitch i think..
Thankyou for your help so much,

My problem has been solved..

Regards
Greg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back