How to update column headers in "archive" sheet when "live" sheet has changed

CaraM

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm not sure this question is going to make sense, but please bear with me:
I have my task list in Excel. I have 29 columns of data (some of it task-related, some of it formulas to manipulate that data).

When I complete or cancel a task, I don't delete it - I move it to the "Completed" sheet in the same workbook.

Over time, as I have modified my "workflow," I have changed the number of columns that I had. I probably started out with 20, instead of the 29 I have now, and I've changed the order of those columns over time, as well.

Well, now the data that I moved when I had fewer columns and the current data don't match up. Never mind that I know I'll have to go back and clean that up if I want it to be useful - what's the best way going forward to make sure that, when I moved a completed item to the other sheet, the columns match up?

I'm having a hard time thinking this through. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
How do you move the data, manually or with a macro? If with a macro, please post the code. Can you post a screen shot of what your data looks like? Section B at this link has instructions on how to post a screen shot: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com. or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Include a detailed explanation of what you would like to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and worksheets. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data. Working with your actual file will make it easier to test possible solutions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back