Disappearing Buttons

Davidns

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created some buttons via Form Control and assigned macros to them. I just noticed that many of them literally disappeared. I closed Excel and then reopened the file, and now the buttons show up. I am glad they are working again, but any idea why they would disappear to begin with?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Are they Form controls or ActiveX controls? My guess would be ActiveX as these can be unstable - in my experience they're probably there but really (and I mean reeeeeallllyy) small. When I use these I usually have a code that runs regularly, which resets the .top, .left, .height and .width to the original settings

Upvote 0
Actually not 100% sure, but will check next time it happens. Strange to see something so basic be unstable on such a mature product. Thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
Excel Ribbon > Developer Tab > Insert > [Form Controls] or [ActiveX Controls]

Form controls are like shapes / images, you can right-click on them at any time and e.g. assign macros. ActiveX controls look the same, but you can only right-click when in "Design Mode" (Developer Tab > Design Mode). When you do, you get code-based options like "view code" and "command button object >"

I like ActiveX controls but yes, I agree it's both surprising and annoying that they can be a pain. I think Microsoft don't like them and have no inclination to fix the problem - it's a fairly uncommon feature, the issues don't always arise and there are alternatives

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back