Future value formula

krisso

Hi

I have a standard calculation that I work out for interest that I am happy works correctly

=SUM(G5*F5*D5/365)

Yet when i use the FV function I am getting a different total for this one calculation based on £1000 @ 8%

=FV(F5/365,D5,0,-G5)-G5

I should be getting 22p at 8% which is what my current formula works out at by the FV formula is calculating to 26p a day

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I get the same results form both formulas. Perhaps you have the values in the wrong order for the FV funciton to work correctly.

D5 = 1
F5 = 8%
G5 = 1000

Upvote 0
You are correct for 1 day you get the same result but after 20 days the interest amount starts drifting so in my normal formula I get £4.38 but under the FV formula I get £4.39 and I find the more the days increase the further the drift is

Upvote 0
This is due to the difference between "simple" interest and "compound" interest.

Your SUM formula is calculating "simple" interest based on the initial balance (G5). In other words, you earn G5*F5/365 in interest each of D5 days.

The FV formula is calculating "compound" interest. On the first day, you earn G5*F5/365 in interest. But that is added to the balance. So on the second day, you earn (G5 + G5*F5/365)*F5/365 in interest. And so on.

Upvote 0
Your formula is calculating simple interest, but the FV function as you are using it is calculating compound interest.

To use FV for simple interest. Rate = 0 NPER = 26 (days in this case) PMT = .219178 (which is interest per day times 1000) PV = 1000
FV=-(0,26,.219178,1000) for simple interest.

See that Joeu2004 already had answered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back