Maintain cell value of referenced cell after sorting

gaudrco

Board Regular
I have a list of values in range B6:B52; each value represents a report. In column D, I have the name of the reports going down the column referencing column B such that:

D6 = B6
D57 = B7
D108 = B8
D159 = B9
.. and so on

As I add values to column B, the value automatically gets referred to the next cell of the reports in column D. For example, if a type "Apple" in cell B10, then in cell D210 the value will be "Apple".

But if I sort the list of values in column B alphabetically, then all of the values in column D change as well. I need the values in column D to remain where they are after sorting. Somehow, I need to link the cell in column D to the exact cell in column B so that when I sort the list, the values (report names) in column D dont change.

Is there a way to do this?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Please clarify

BEFORE
B10 value is Apple
D210 formula is =B10
D210 displays Apple

SORT column B

AFTER SORT
B10 is Orange
B11 is Apple
Do you want D210 to display Apple ?
(ie B11 value)

Upvote 0
Please clarify

AFTER SORT
B10 is Orange
B11 is Apple
Do you want D210 to display Apple ?
(ie B11 value)

Yes you are correct. In this example, I want Apple to be displayed in D210 forever. Once I add a value the list, the value replicates to the next report cell in column D and forever becomes that value. Maybe you've noticed this pattern; I have a new report cell every 51 rows in column D.

Upvote 0
The obvious solution would be to use VBA to copy the value (when a new cell is added ) in B to ( the appropriate cell in ) D
- what should happen if user tries to amend the underlying cell value in B later?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a very good point. If someone changed a value in Column B, I would want the change to happen in Column D to the corresponding cell. I see how that is challenging to maintain if I am sorting the values in column B.

Upvote 0
The reason for this is I have a data validation list of values that refer to the values in column B. If there were a way to sort the data validation list of values cell without affecting the reference cells in column B, then there would be no need to sort column B therefore I would have no issue with my current method. Is there a way to do an isolated sort on the DV list of values?

Upvote 0
I am away from my PC so cannot test this but how about reversing your logic.

What happens if you type "Apple" into cell D210 and place the formula in B10
=D210

Upvote 0
:oops: I am told that latest suggestion won't do the trick

Upvote 0
Something that should work
- individual name ranges to hold the values
- named ranges used in formula in both B10 and D210 etc

NamedRangeA with Refers to
="Apple"

NamedRangeB
with Refers to
="Orange"

NamedRangeC with Refers to
="Pear"

etc

and the formula (example)
in B10
=NamedRangeA

in D210
=NamedRangeA

Sorting in column B should not affect column D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a really great idea however some of my reports have numbers in the name and you can't use numbers in defined names. I might just have to live without this

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjurney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back