Index match with a variable range on a dynamic choice of worksheet

Jimbob2000

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$E$2:$S$51"),MATCH($A5,INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$A$2:$A$51"),0),MATCH($B$2,INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$E$1:$S$1"),0)),"")

I'm using the formula above that uses Indirect and the value in cell B1 to determine which worksheet to pull data from. It then uses cells A5 and B2 to lookup the correct value on the sheet determined by B1 (using INDEX/MATCH).

The challenge is that the number of rows varies between the sheets that can be referenced by B1. As the formula is set up below, it has 50 rows; however, in reality it could have more or less.

I'm trying to use the INDEX/COUNTA method -- e.g., =$A$2:INDEX($A:$A,COUNTA($A:$A)) -- to allow a variable last row. The problem is that this requires me to nest two more INDIRECT sheet references for each part of the INDEX/MATCH formula and I just can figure out how to make it work.

Any ideas?

I tried something like the following but it doesn't work :(

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$E$2:"INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"S:S"),COUNTA(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"A:A")),MATCH($A5,INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$A$2:"INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"A:A"),COUNTA(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"A:A")),0),MATCH($B$2,INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$E$1:$S$1"),0)),"")

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
What if you have a cell for each sheet where the number of rows on that sheet is held (using the count)

and then instead of the 51 refer to this cell
=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$B$1&"'!"&"$E$2:$S$" & C2),MATCH(.... etc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back