Highlight a cell based on specific text in a different cell

AlienBeans

So, I have a billing spreadsheet with a list of names in column E. I have pay columns that are based on years of experience. The names in Column E contain an * if they are first year and ** if they are 2nd year. What I want to do is change the background colors depending on * or **. I've tried with conditional formatting but what I've tried isn't working. So, if cell E5 has a name: last name, first name (*) then I want cell H5 to turn blue. Can conditional formatting do this alone or do I need a formula to assist? Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I think you could use conditional formatting, something like: contains (?) or (??)

Upvote 0
I think you could use conditional formatting, something like: contains (?) or (??)

I thought about conditional formatting but I think I would need a formula to accomplish what I'm trying to do. What I've tried hasn't worked, so I'm kind of stuck here.

Upvote 0
Ok. I think I've figured out a formula for a single cell. I'm using =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("1",E5))

Now, I'm struggline to apply this to a group. So, cells E4-E128 contain the names. Column H (cells H4-H128 contain a number. I want the cells in column H to only turn blue if the cells in column E contain a (*) So, now how do I apply the conditional formatting to a range of cells. When I highlight the cells and enter the formula in conditional formatting and set the color, it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the direction. I was able to get it solved and have it do what I need it to do. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back