Conditional Formatting Referencing Color of Another Cell

masouder

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to create conditional fomatting that changes the background color of a cell based on a simple conditional formula, but I want the color to come from the background color of another cell.

For example, assume I want to create conditional formatting that changes the background color of cell A1 based on the conditional formula "=A1=1". But instead of selecteing the backgroud color in the Conditional Formatting Rule Manager, I want the color to be based on the background color of cell A2. So if cell A1 contains the value 1 (meets the condition) then I want the background color of A1 to change to the current background color of cell A2.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Not with conditional formatting, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
... So if cell A1 contains the value 1 (meets the condition) then I want the background color of A1 to change to the current background color of cell A2.

Is the background colour in A2 random or is there some logic to it? If the latter is true you can use the same logic.

Upvote 0
The user can change the background color of cell A2 at any time, and when that happens the background color of A1 should change too.

Upvote 0
In that case I'll repeat what Fluff said: Not with conditional formatting, I'm afraid. :(

Upvote 0
Thanks, all. I didn't think it was possible, but wanted to be sure. Would be a good feature, as I have had this need more than once.

Upvote 0
Sorry we couldn't be of more help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back