Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I am trying to make it so if the user copies & pastes anything in my workbook, it will only do a Paste Values. I found an answer to a post on Stack Exchange from a few ago that recommending putting the following code in the Workbook_SheetChange sub.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

If Application.CutCopyMode = xlCopy Then

Application.EnableEvents = False
    Application.Undo
    Target.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
    Application.EnableEvents = True

End If

End Sub

The problem is, on certain sheets, it doesn't seem to run. If I press Ctrl-C with a cell selected on one worksheet within my workbook, then change to another sheet in my workbook, and then press Ctrl-V in a cell there, it doesn't paste only the values -- it does a normal paste. I don't understand why this is happening on certain sheets but on others it doesn't. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Where have you placed this code?
In which module?
It needs to be in the "ThisWorkbook" module.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have it in the ThisWorkbook module.

Upvote 0
In instances where ctrl-V does a normal paste, are you certain that events are enabled when you do the paste? If events have inadvertently been disabled prior to the paste, ctrl-V will result in a normal paste as your code will not be triggered. Here's a modification that might help you diagnose the problem:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

MsgBox "Events are enabled"

Application.EnableEvents = False
    Application.Undo
    Target.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

End If

End Sub
If you don't see the message box after a ctrl-V, events are disabled. To enable them again go to the Immediate Window and type:
and press Enter

Upvote 0
Hi Joe. Very interesting. I added that line of code, and you are correct... I am not seeing the MsgBox when I press Ctrl-V.

I searched my entire project in the VBA window for "Application.EnableEvents" to see what other code I have that might be disabling events. Other than the two lines in this sub (Workbook_SheetChange), it did not find it anywhere. So I am not sure what would be disabling events in my workbook. Is there some other code that has the ability to disable events? Or are events disabled by default in Excel?

Upvote 0
Okay, so I did what you said and put Application.EnableEvents = True in the Immediate Window. That enabled events, because I has setup a Watch for it, so I could see that it had changed to True. BUT, then I tried a copy & paste again. I copied a cell from Sheet1 to Sheet2. I hit Ctrl-V and I received the message "Events are enabled". But then it did the paste but as a complete paste, not as Paste Values only. I'm at a loss as to what is going on.

Update: it looks like if I paste to certain pages, it does a paste special. But other pages, and it does a normal paste. For each one, I am seeing the "Events are enabled" message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just stepped through the code. In Workbook_SheetChange, when it gets to the line

Code:

it is going straight to End If. I added a watch for Application.CutCopyMode, and it turns out in some cases, it is equal to 0 (zero).

When I do the copy & paste, I am doing it the same way each time: Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V. Ever heard of this happening?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UGH. I figured it out. I had some code in my workbook that was sometimes setting CutCopyMode to False. I must have added it months ago, because I forgot all about it being there!

I removed that code and now it seems to be working fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back