kelly mort

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this textbox that I want it to hold this kind of text format:

"12345678" or "ABC/1234/12"

Now these are the conditions I want to validate:

1. If I start with a number, then accept only numbers and stop registering any key stroke when the length of the textbox reaches 8 characters

2. If I start the entry with a letter, then:
- The first 3 characters must be letters only

- The fourth character must be a forward slash. If I forget to add it and press a number value as shown from my sample above, then I want to add that slash before I register the pressed key.

- After the first slash, the next 4 characters are to be numbers.
- Then we repeat the second rule under point(2) above.
- We also repeat third rule under point(2) above this time for the last two characters.

3. The entry should only start with a number or a letter. I don't want to register the spacebar when pressed.

4. I will want to be able to use the delete and backspace keys to make edit. In that case, the above rules still hold valid. So when I delete one letter from the ABC, I should add or fix that letter before any further registration of keys are implemented.

Thanks in advance for reading this. I will be very glad to have a solution to this. Seems a bit complex to me to process ATM.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
There's probably a more elegant Reg Edit way, but I don't know RedEd patterns well enough.

Try this.

Code:
[color=darkblue]Private[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] TextBox1_KeyPress([color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)
    [color=green]'"12345678" or "ABC/1234/12"[/color]
    [color=darkblue]With[/color] Me.TextBox1
        [color=darkblue]Select[/color] [color=darkblue]Case[/color] [color=darkblue]True[/color]
            [color=green]'numbers[/color]
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] Left("########", Len(.Text) + 1)
            [color=green]'text[/color]
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z]"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z]"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]" And KeyAscii <> 8
                .Text = .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) & "/"
                KeyAscii = 0
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]" And Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "#"
                .Text = .Text & "/"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/#"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/##"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/###"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####" And KeyAscii <> 8
                KeyAscii = 0
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####" And Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "#"
                .Text = .Text & "/"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/#"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [color=darkblue]Like[/color] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/##"
            [color=darkblue]Case[/color] Else: KeyAscii = 0
        [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Select[/color]
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]With[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
There's probably a more elegant Reg Edit way, but I don't know RedEd patterns well enough.

Try this.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] TextBox1_KeyPress([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)
    [COLOR=green]'"12345678" or "ABC/1234/12"[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR] Me.TextBox1
        [COLOR=darkblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]True[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=green]'numbers[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] Left("########", Len(.Text) + 1)
            [COLOR=green]'text[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z]"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z]"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]" And KeyAscii <> 8
                KeyAscii = 0
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]" And Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "#"
                .Text = .Text & "/"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/#"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/##"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/###"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####" And KeyAscii <> 8
                KeyAscii = 0
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####" And Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "#"
                .Text = .Text & "/"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/#"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] .Text & Chr(KeyAscii) [COLOR=darkblue]Like[/COLOR] "[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]/####/##"
            [COLOR=darkblue]Case[/COLOR] Else: KeyAscii = 0
        [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Select[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Wow. This is more than elegant!!!

It worked very well.

One issue:
When I want to do the edit, it does not register its keys.

That's when I enter

ABC/1234/12

Then delete the C to form

AB/1234/12

when I decide to add the C again, it does not register it. I have to clear everything to start again. If this can be done I will love it

But still, you are the man!!!:cool:

Upvote 0
This method only verifies the right most characters as they are entered. I don't know how to verify mid edits.

Upvote 0
I think this will do what you want. Note that if the user deletes a slash, it must be the first character restored.
Code:
Private Sub TextBox1_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)
    Dim newString As String, isOK As Boolean
    Const strLetter As String = "[A-Z]"

KeyAscii = Asc(UCase(Chr(KeyAscii)))
    With TextBox1
        newString = Left(.Text, .SelStart) & Chr(KeyAscii) & Mid(.Text, .SelStart + .SelLength + 1)
    End With

If newString Like "#*" Then
        isOK = Chr(KeyAscii) Like "#" And Len(newString) <= 8
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter Or newString Like strLetter & strLetter Then
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter Then
        TextBox1.Text = newString
        KeyAscii = Asc("/")
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/#" Then
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/##" Then
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/###" Then
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/####" Then
        TextBox1.Text = newString
        KeyAscii = Asc("/")
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/####/#" Then
        isOK = True
    ElseIf newString Like strLetter & strLetter & strLetter & "/####/##" Then
        isOK = True
    Else
        isOK = False
    End If

If Not isOK Then
        KeyAscii = 0
        Beep
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Nice one there. Thanks , Mike.

Now I am cool to go

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back