How can I look up the value in the next cell?

jackjones123

Hi,

I have a set of data with a merged header cell, laid out like this:

---------------------------Merged header cell-----------------------------------
Value 1Value 2

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am trying to return Value 2, using the header cell as the lookup value. I've tried using HLOOKUP, but it returns Value 1. Is there a way I can return Value 2 instead?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
hI,

You've posted this question with the hope of getting an answer you can use.
Unfortunately you gave us not enough information to go on and by doing that, made it impossible for us to answer your question in a way you can actually use the answer.

My top tip today:
Look at the forum rules and guidelines, the links are provided in my signature below and by doing that you'll get some helpful guidance on what information you should include in your question to create the best opportunity for us to help you.

Upvote 0
Try this

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:112.16px;" /><col style="width:135.92px;" /><col style="width:133.07px;" /><col style="width:114.06px;" /><col style="width:26.61px;" /><col style="width:26.61px;" /><col style="width:164.44px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td colspan="2" style="text-align:center; ">Merged header cell</td><td colspan="2" style="text-align:center; ">Other header cell</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Value1</td><td >Value2</td><td >Value3</td><td >Value4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td >Value2</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >G2</td><td >=INDEX(A1:D2,2,MATCH("Merged header cell",A1:D1,0)+1)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Try this

ABCDEFG
1Merged header cellOther header cell
2Value1Value2Value3Value4 Value2

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:112.16px;"><col style="width:135.92px;"><col style="width:133.07px;"><col style="width:114.06px;"><col style="width:26.61px;"><col style="width:26.61px;"><col style="width:164.44px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

CellFormula
G2=INDEX(A1:D2,2,MATCH("Merged header cell",A1:D1,0)+1)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sorry, it's taken me a couple of weeks to get back to this project. Thank you very much, that has worked perfectly!

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back