Searchable MS database

Ztcollins

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
First I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help.

My question is can you take a linked database on one sheet of a workbook, and have the data fill into cells by a search function?

Example:
UOM = Unit of Measure

If i have a materiel part from a lumber company::: 2x4x16 Douglas Fir (Item Name), 2416F (Item Part #), EA (Item UOM)

I would have data in one cell that would be Takeoff data: IE (200 LF) then in another cell i would have a formula to take the takeoff data and create a total. (all this i can do)

Takeoff DataTakeoff UOMTotalPart NamePart Skew #Part UOM
200LF=sum(cell A1*10%) Formulas will differ from part to part2x4x16 DOUGLAS FIR2416FEA

<tbody>
</tbody>

What i am trying to do is the Part name or part skew number be searchable (to pull up the name when you type in the name or the part number in there corresponding cell and when you select that part it auto fill those cells. Below is what the MC access list would be. Only reason for the MS access database is so i can auto update parts as i get new files... Some of my Databases are up to 10k parts. Can this be done in excel stand alone or will i need script behind it.

MS part # (not used)Part NamePart Skew #Part UOM
12X4X16 DOUGLAS FIR2416FEA
22X6X16 DOUGLAS FIR2616FEA
32X8X16 DOUGLAS FIR2816FEA
42X10X16 DOUGLAS FIR21016FEA

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Why not just make a query in Access to retrieve the data you want and make the calculation in the query? If necessary, you can then export the query to Excel.

Upvote 0
Cant. These will end up in a report that is sent back to our client to put into there Point of sale system. So there will be at some points over 2000 parts or better.
So basically I take off houses and provide them a parts list to build the house. These parts have to be accessible quickly so i can do these takeoff seamless and fast.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flashbond

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back