Excel - non vba code - Calculate Prize Money by Place

Richard2542

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Prizes are award to individual players by Flight; 5 places are paid, in the event of a tie, the prize money is distributed between the players and rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount; i.e., Player 3, 4 and 5 are tied for 2nd place – the prize award for 2nd place is $6, 3rd place is $5 and 4th place is $3 – the 3 players that are tied for 2nd place would each receive $4.66 or $5 each (thus eliminating 3rd and 4th place winners) – 5th place would receive a prize.
The player’s place has already been determined by using the RANK Function. And shows:
Player 1 – 1st place, Player 3 – 2nd place, Player 4 – 2nd place, Player 5 – 2nd place; Player 6 – 5th place
I need a non vba formula to calculate the winning prize $’s per winning player by Player Flight.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Something like this?

Book1
ABCDEFGH
1PlayerScoreRankPrizePrizesAmount
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$7)
D2=IFERROR(ROUND(SUM(OFFSET($H$2,MATCH(C2,$G$2:$G$6,0)-1,0,COUNTIF($C$2:$C$7,C2)))/COUNTIF($C$2:$C$7,C2),0),0)

I'm not sure how Flight works into this. Do you have another column, say E, with a Flight number? Are the rankings by Flight number? Is the prize money the same for each flight?

Upvote 0
Eric...the rankings pertain to each flight - the flights are determined the by the player handicap and the same prize amount is distributed to players within each flight. I do believe that you have captured the essence of my problem with your example. I am very appreciative for this and will test the formula within my workbook over the next week...thanks so much.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back