Default to Automatic calculation

kleetus51

Recently and inexplicably any new workbooks that I open default to manual calculation. I read a few message boards and they said that the solution is to put a workbook in the XLSTART folder that s set to automatic calculation. This works, however any time I open an existing workbook it opens this one too. I then have to close that one out, which is a minor inconvenience but annoying nonetheless. Is there a way to have Excel default to automatic calculation without going this route? Alternatively, is there a way to make the workbook in XLSTART not open when I open an existing file?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Excel's calculation mode is determined by the first workbook opened. Typically, if it's loading in manual calculation, that is due to either the personal macro workbook or a book.xltx template file. Do you have either of those?

Upvote 0
I don't have anything in my XLSTART folder except for the workbook I referenced above. I'm not sure how to check for a personal macro workbook, as I've never used those before.

Upvote 0
There are actually two XLSTART folders - which one are you looking in?

Upvote 0
C:\Users\lefd01\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART. I didn't find another one. Where is it typically located?

Upvote 0
Somewhere within the program files\microsoft office folder hierarchy.

Upvote 0
In my 365 it is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

Upvote 0
If you start Excel in safe mode (hold down the Ctrl key while starting the application), does it start with automatic calculation enabled? If so, then there must be something being loaded at startup that sets calculation to manual. Since we've ruled out the XLSTART folders, I'd see what add-ins you have loaded.

Upvote 0
It does start with auto calc turned on in safe mode. I'll look into the add-ins and see if I can figure out which one is doing it. thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back