Re-saving a Workbook to remove Protected Data

steveh8204

Board Regular
Hi,

I use a Workbook in work which I need to Filter a lot of the data in, I have been using Macros to do this very efficiently but the file has been updated and now has the sheet protected which prevents the Macros from running.(Run time error 1004 - You cannot use this command on a protected sheet etc).

Long story short the author wants to keep it that way so I thought I would try and "Save As", save it as a different file name so I could but I still can't. I cant even select the data in it as its protected.

Is there any way to "un-protect" the sheet once I've re-saved somewhere else offline?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Do you know the password?
If so, you can have your code unprotect the sheet, do its stuff then re-protect. If you do not know the password then Michael's answer stands.

Upvote 0
Do you know the password?
If so, you can have your code unprotect the sheet, do its stuff then re-protect. If you do not know the password then Michael's answer stands.

No, can't get hold of the password. Thought as much, thanks for the reply anyway.

Upvote 0
Thanks, seems a bit strange how you cant even record a Macro to filter things even when the 'Allow users to Sort and Use Autofilter' is selected.

Upvote 0
Simply being able to sort & filter, is much different to recording a macro, which would then enable you do to pretty much anything.
And any macro would firstly require the worksheet / book to be either unprotected, or have to ability to do so !...:LOL:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back