Macro or Formula to match positive and negative numbers

Madzark

Dear community,

I need to match up a negative number with a positive number that would make the value zero. I tried to use the COUNTIF formula (e.g. =COUNTIF($Q$2:$Q$30210;Q2)<>COUNTIF($Q$2:$Q$30210;-Q2)) but it doesn't work at all.

Any suggestions? I would like to run a macro, because i have files with over 30.000 rows and filters are running late.

Thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
What should happen when you find positive and negative numbers that match?
Could you post an example?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The macro should eliminate the rows it has identified as perfect pairs of positives and negatives or , at least, assign a value that allows me to filter the results

Upvote 0
Try this:
Data at column Q, the result in col R, the ones with "xx" is positive and negative numbers that match.

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color] positive_negative_match1c()
[i][color=seagreen]'use this[/color][/i]
[i][color=seagreen]'positive-negative match pair[/color][/i]
[i][color=seagreen]'without grouping[/color][/i]

[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] i [color=Royalblue]As[/color] [color=Royalblue]Long[/color]
[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] va, z, q, ary1, ary2
[color=Royalblue]Dim[/color] d [color=Royalblue]As[/color] [color=Royalblue]Object[/color]

[i][color=seagreen]'data start at Q2[/color][/i]
va = Range([color=brown]"Q2"[/color], Cells(Rows.count, [color=brown]"Q"[/color]).[color=Royalblue]End[/color](xlUp))

[color=Royalblue]Set[/color] d = CreateObject([color=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/color])

[color=Royalblue]For[/color] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color])
    z = va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]):  d(z) = d(z) & [color=brown]","[/color] & i
[color=Royalblue]Next[/color]

[color=Royalblue]For[/color] [color=Royalblue]Each[/color] q [color=Royalblue]In[/color] d.Keys
    [color=Royalblue]If[/color] q > [color=crimson]0[/color] [color=Royalblue]And[/color] d.Exists(-q) [color=Royalblue]Then[/color]
        ary1 = Split(d(q), [color=brown]","[/color]):  ary2 = Split(d(-q), [color=brown]","[/color])

[color=Royalblue]If[/color] UBound(ary1) < UBound(ary2) [color=Royalblue]Then[/color] P = UBound(ary1) [color=Royalblue]Else[/color] P = UBound(ary2)
            [color=Royalblue]For[/color] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [color=Royalblue]To[/color] P
                va(ary1(i), [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=brown]"xx"[/color]: va(ary2(i), [color=crimson]1[/color]) = [color=brown]"xx"[/color]
    [color=Royalblue]End[/color] [color=Royalblue]If[/color]

[i][color=seagreen]'put the result in col R[/color][/i]
Range([color=brown]"R2"[/color]).Resize(UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color]), [color=crimson]1[/color]) = va

[color=Royalblue]End[/color] [color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/FONT]

Excel 2013
QR
1No
22xx
33xx
44xx
77xx
111xx
21-1xx
22-2xx
23-3xx
24-4xx
25-7xx
Sheet2

Edited:
wrong code:
va = Range("Q2", Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back