Copy cell value from a different workbook into a textbox in a userform

Patriot2879

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, good afternoon, I have a userform with TextBox310 where I want the textbox to show the info from another workbook for example the work book is located in 'G:INDAY.xlsm ' and the info is in sheet1 cell S17, please can you help?
I have tried...
Code:
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT="Courier New"]Private Sub TextBox310_Change()[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT="Courier New"]Dim WB as Workbook[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT="Courier New"]Set WB = Workbook.CopyFileName:="G:\INDAY.xlsm"[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#333333]WB.Worksheets(Sheet1).Cells=”S17”[/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT="Courier New"]End Sub[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/CO[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]DE]

Last edited:
Re: How to copy cell vaule from a different workbook into a textbox in a userform

Hi Dave this is the whole code. What do you mean calling?
Code:
Private Sub TextBox310_Change()
Me.TextBox310.Text = GetCellValue(Filepath:="G:\TEAM\ES_Mtr_Tech_Ops\Customer Management Centre\Utilisation\Complex\Capacity test\", FileName:="CapacitytestDATA.xlsx", SheetName:="Data", CellAddress:="V2")
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Re: How to copy cell vaule from a different workbook into a textbox in a userform

And this is the code I put into Module2.
Code:
Function GetCellValue(Filepath As String, FileName As String, _
                      SheetName As String, CellAddress As String) As Variant
'modified from John Walkenbach's routine:
'Retrieves a value from an open or closed workbook
    Dim Arg As String, PathSep As String
    PathSep = Application.PathSeparator
    If Right(Filepath, 1) <> PathSep Then Filepath = Filepath & PathSep

'Make sure the file exists
    If Not Dir(Filepath & FileName) = vbNullString Then
'Create the argument
        Arg = "'" & Filepath & "[" & FileName & "]" & SheetName & "'!" & _
        Range(CellAddress)(1).Address(ReferenceStyle:=xlR1C1)
'Execute an XLM macro
        GetCellValue = ExecuteExcel4Macro(Arg)
    Else
        GetCellValue = "Error"
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0

Hi Dave this is the whole code. What do you mean calling?
Code:
Me.TextBox310.Text = GetCellValue(Filepath:="G:\TEAM\ES_Mtr_Tech_Ops\Customer Management Centre\Utilisation\Complex\Capacity test\", FileName:="CapacitytestDATA.xlsx", SheetName:="Data", CellAddress:="V2")
End Sub

I suspect you are using the wrong event for what you are trying to do. Assign that code to a button on your form & see if returns value you want.

dave

Upvote 0
Hi there. Sorry not following what you mean. I just need what is in the cell in another workbook to show in the text box. Sorry do you mean you want me to add a button?

Upvote 0
Hi there. Sorry not following what you mean. I just need what is in the cell in another workbook to show in the text box. Sorry do you mean you want me to add a button?

The TextBox change event triggers went you type something in to it - You want a value returned to that textbox from another workbook which code provided should do, but you something needs to happen in your project to make that code to run

- without knowing what you are doing difficult to suggest where in your project the code should reside.

Perhaps helpful if you could paost section of code in your form & explain what it is you are doing in in it (e.g. entering a search value in another textbox?) to expect values to populate textboxes.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for getting back to me. Can I add my project to dropbox please tomorrow for you to look at? What I have is a userform which works with another workbook. But one part of it i have several text boxes which I just want to show what is in a cell in another workbook. For example it will have the word 'Mide' in a cell and I want that to show in the text box in the userform

Upvote 0
Hi all hoping you can help please? I am trying to get a cell value from another workbook and to show the value into my textbox which is in the userform.
Code:
End Sub[\CODE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back