How to get excel to accept input from a barcode scanner and add "+1" to a column

seanloughry

Hey friends. Not sure if this can be done but here is what I want to accomplish. Our store's inventory will happen soon. Our old style of doing inventory is slow and I want to streamline this process. Our point of sale system allows me to export all of our inventory items, which includes the quantity in hand that the system thinks we have. I would like to open that spreadsheet on my laptop and move throughout the store, scanning each item. The idea is for excel to accept the input from the scanner (which I've already figured that part out), and adjust the quantity on hand as I am scanning. So basically, when I scan a barcode, excel finds that number, and advances the quantity on hand each time that item is scanned. Im hoping that makes sense. If anyone has experience with this please respond.

Thanks much
Sean

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I am not certain I can be of assistance to you. Except, it sounds like you are needing
a macro that is activated once the bar code is "read" and the information is written to a
cell or textbox ... how ever you have your spreadsheet set up.

Once you have the data input to the worksheet, it should be a matter of using a VLOOKUP to search
through a listing of all your product numbers. When found, there should be a choice of "adding to the inventory" or
"deleting from the inventory". Those can be a simple command button located on the sheet that initiates a macro
to add or delete.

Aside from that .... there have been so many requests for what you are doing and almost no answers on
this Forum and others.

Your experience & success posted here for others would be extremely welcomed ! Please consider sharing
everything you have for others.

What equipment are you using for the scanning ?

How did you manage to get Excel to accept the barcode that was scanned ?

How did you get Excel to input that data to the worksheet ?

Upvote 0
A while back I created a spreadsheet that does exactly what you are asking for.
While it started in 2010 it is still relevant to what you want.

Go to this post Counting Inventory with Barcode Scanner and start reading. On page three of the thread I come in the conversation about this topic and offer my solution.
Read through all of it. Within the thread I have posted several updated versions throughout to accommodate some modification to my original.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back