Column Duplicate and Search

peerogel

Board Regular
Hello, I cant figure out how to do a "double search" in a column. Conditional formatting would be better but entering a formula along a row could do. Hopefully I can explain what I am tryin to do. I am trying to find duplicates within a column (F through S), then in the duplicate row see, if there is any value in column T.

For example: in column 'F', I have duplicate values in rows 30, 34, 50, and 61 (all four say read "test") within those rows, if more than one has comments in Column 'T', I would like to have the cell (in column 'T') with a different fill color.

For example: if in Column 'T' only row 30 has comments, nothing happens.
if in Column 'T' rows 30 and 50 have comments, both T30 and T50's cell fill should change.
if in Column 'T' all rows have comments, then T30, T34, T50 and T61's cells fill should change.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Select the data in col T (for instance T2:T100) and use this formula
=COUNTIFS(F$2:F$100,F2,T$2:T$100,"<>")>1

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply. The formula almost works, the only thing is that it returns "True" on all duplicates. Going back to the example, if rows f30, f34, f50, and f61 have duplicates (the same value) but only rows t30 and t34 have comments, all rows (30, 34, 50, and 61 ) return true.

Maybe using the "true" and "<>" I can use a conditional format. But I'm worse in those.

Upvote 0
Apologies, the formula should be
=AND(T2<>"",COUNTIFS(F$2:F$100,F2,T$2:T$100,"<>")>1)

also this is a CF formula, select the data in col T > conditional format > New rule > Use a formula > enter the above formula > select your format > OK.

Change the range in the formula to suit.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back