Formula to Find matching Absolute Values in a Range of Dates?

Lyryx

Hi Everyone,

I've been developing a project for work that will analyse bank accounts to determine the value of a project. The problem is some of our projects have inter-account transactions. In order to determine the proper worth of the project we have to find any transfers between the accounts and remove them. This is a tedious process of us going through the data and looking for values in from account A that match the values leaving account B or vice versa.

To solve this I created two temporary Formula... it's been a bit of a band-aid solution however because it only identifies transfers that might have occurred on the exact same transaction date when sometimes a transfer might originate in Account A on a Friday and then after 3 business Days come out of of Account B. So this formula ends up ignoring transfers that occurred over the course of a week in business days.

So I was hoping to get a similar formula but have it look for values within a week of each other ... I'm not sure if that is even possible though which is why I am posting this message here.

The formulas are as follows:

HTML:
=IF(COUNTIF([Unique ID],[@[Unique ID]])>1,"Check For Transfer","")
and
HTML:
=CONCATENATE([@[Transaction Date]],"-",ABS([@[Withdrawal/Debits]]-[@[Deposits/Credits]]))

Where:
  • The first formula Counts all instances of Unique IDs, if any return more than once than it COULD be a transfer... however sometimes it's a cancelled check out of the same account...
  • [Unique ID] creates a text value combining the date and absolute value of the ranges of data.

I realize this might be more complicated or even impossible but if a solution exists I know it will be found here.

Once again the goal is to Identify transfers between two or more accounts, a transfer occurs when for example $100 leaves Account A and then enters Account B on the same day or within 5 business days.
The formula I am currently using only looks for the same day so I was wondering if it would be possible to get it to look for matches within 5 days or a week.

Thanks in advance! :)

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
You could divide the date by 10 and round it down and then multiply it back up again. This will make all the dates in a 10 day period identical: e.g.
Code:
=10*ROUNDDOWN(NOW()/10,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back