how to use a cell to reference a file?

Fotorat

Hi all

I have a 2 workbooks set up s parent and chid - and a formula to pull values into the parent from the child:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'https://tsbcloud.sharepoint.com/sites/ChangeTestingTeam/UAT Testing Collateral/1. Releases Collateral/Release 17/14. Preparation and Execution Tracker/[Outside of Central UAT.xlsx]Run Plan'!$A$2:$N$4,5,TRUE)

Where I have the file name "Outside of Central UAT.XLSX" - (child) I would like to populate this from a cell in the parent (as I have 120 children in total.

I am sure it must be easy?

thanks

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
You will be losing the initial ' if you type that as the first character in a cell.

Upvote 0
You will be losing the initial ' if you type that as the first character in a cell.

Thanks Steve

looking for more info on my first attempt with INDIRECT

=VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(AH2),5,TRUE)

and no matter what I try on AH2 I always get #REF !

Can someone clarify the correct phrasing for my AH2 :

https://tsbcloud.sharepoint.com/sites/ChangeTestingTeam/UAT Testing Collateral/1. Releases Collateral/Release 17/14. Preparation and Execution Tracker/[Outside of Central UAT.xlsx]Run Plan'!$A$2:$N$4

Upvote 0
Your problem is probably that the source file is closed

To reiterate:
Create the reference to the external file, in the way that you normally would - this gives you the direct text string
Remove the = in order to convert the reference string to simple text, i.e. not a formula. Beware that a leading ' will disappear when you do this, so you'll need to put it back in, perhaps using a new formula
Once you have the text string exactly as it should be, the Indirect should work WHEN the file is open. When you close it, the result converts to #REF !

Upvote 0
As i was trying to say in post number 12 if you type anything into a cell with a leading ' excel will use that ' to think you mean this is text and ignore it. Therefore your indirect will fail as it isnt a valid range. If you look at your post 13:

https://tsbcloud.sharepoint.com/site...estingTeam/UAT Testing Collateral/1. Releases Collateral/Release 17/14. Preparation and Execution Tracker/[Outside of Central UAT.xlsx]Run Plan'!$A$2:$N$4

has a missing leading '. You therefore need to include it in your indirect which is nothing more than a string that points to your range. Try this:

=VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT("'"&AH2),5,TRUE)

You will then get reference error that will correct when you open the appropriate workbook. Are you sure you want to use a VLOOKUP with TRUE at the end??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back