How is it possible for the same exact value in one cell to fail my conditional formatting while elsewhere it doesn't?

gravanoc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Here is what I'm trying to do.

A meeting or documentation turn-in needs to be scheduled for a certain date & be held, otherwise the cell where the date goes turns red and bold yellow font. I use an internal calendar with key dates being referenced including today's date, the date of the beginning of the week (i.e. - 6-October), and Thursday's date (10-Oct). If the meeting is not scheduled at all, the cell is red. If the meeting is scheduled, but the date is prior to Thursday and it is Thursday or later, it turns red. This is the formula I'm using for conditional formatting:

=AND(OR(NOT(YEAR(E1)=YEAR(NOW())),NOT(E1>Internals!$T$1),Internals!$Q$1>E1,AND(Internals!$Q$1>Internals!$U$1,E1<<internals!$u$1)),internals!o2=false)
Internals!$U$1, Internals!O1=FALSE)
This is only partially working. I'm having trouble thinking of how to write it. Basically, any scheduled date in the future should not turn red, while dates in the past should turn red only if they were scheduled prior to the last Thursday. Regardless, if the checkbox next to a cell is checked then it overrides the formatting & turns green again.

My formatting is somehow turning one cell green while another is red (E3 & E9), even though they share the same date & formatting! The most aggravating part is my standalone IF formulas seem to be working fine using essentially the same formula.

5vspWU5.jpg

UM0UKdx.jpg
</internals!$u$1)),internals!o2=false)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Couple of suggestions why this might happen, these are the first two things I'd be checking

1) conditional formatting can get misaligned easily when working with multiple ranges. When you entered your formula above, the result will be different depending on whether you had E1 active (references self) or E2 active (references cell above), even if the selection is the same. Take extra care and double-check this

2) floating point error, for example where a value 1.0000000000000001 looks very much like 1, but isn't for logic purposes. Copy and paste as values to see the actual value underneath

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back