Picking different text parts from a long text cell

gustavocolli

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I need some formulas to extract a certain part of the text from the main cell. I just can't think of a logical way to do that because using Left and Right will not work as the texts differ in lenght.[/FONT]

cv3NQxx

https://ibb.co/cv3NQxx

The columns B, C, D and E should give those small extracts from the main line. Anyone could please help me?!

Thanks in Advance!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I would proceed first with the Text to Columns Wizard (Data | Text to Columns) and pick the backslash (\) as delimeter. Then I repeat that process with the dash (-) as delimeter and then process further.

Upvote 0
Could you give us some sample data in a form that we can copy? Having to type all that out is a bit onerous and would be prone to error.
My signature block below has some help in that regard.

Can you also clarify

- Why some of the cells in columns B:E are blank when there appears to be relevant data in column A?

- Whether the dates in the column A text are in yyyy-mm-dd format or yyyy-dd-mm format. Impossible to tell since none of the day or month values are greater than 12

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this sample data correct, gustavocolli? Because I cannot see the whole line of column A. Like I said in Post #2 I would first go with a Text to Columns.

Excel 2016 Professional (Windows) 64 bit
A
B
C
D
E
Service lineProductBilling EntityProjectDate 1
\\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Allseas - Able LT 2019-06-08.pdf longtermlongtermAllseasAble LT
8-6-2019​
\\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Allseas - Able LT 2019-06-09.pdf
\\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Boskalis - Bae Caerfyrddin LT 2019 longtermlongtermBoskalisBae Caerfyrddin LT
1-6-2019​
\\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Boskalis - Bae Caerfyrddin LT 2015 longtermlongterm
\\optical\data\201906\squall\Squall Advisory Report BW Offshore - Squall Advisory for Sendje Berge - 2019-06-12 0243.pdfSquallBW OffshoreSqual Advisory for Sendje Berge
12-6-2019​
\\optical\data\201906\squall\Squall Advisory Report BW Offshore - Squall Advisory for Sendje Berge - 2019-06-12 1549.pdfSquall
12-6-2019​
Sheet: Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back