Thread: Picking different text parts from a long text cell
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Picking different text parts from a long text cell

I need some formulas to extract a certain part of the text from the main cell. I just can't think of a logical way to do that because using Left and Right will not work as the texts differ in lenght.

https://ibb.co/cv3NQxx

The columns B, C, D and E should give those small extracts from the main line. Anyone could please help me?!

Thanks in Advance!

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Picking different text parts from a long text cell

I would proceed first with the Text to Columns Wizard (Data | Text to Columns) and pick the backslash (\) as delimeter. Then I repeat that process with the dash (-) as delimeter and then process further.
    Using: Windows 10 + Microsoft Excel Professional 2016 (English version ! ! !)
    and also an Acer Chromebook with Google spreadsheet (Online).

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Could you give us some sample data in a form that we can copy? Having to type all that out is a bit onerous and would be prone to error.
    My signature block below has some help in that regard.

Can you also clarify

- Why some of the cells in columns B:E are blank when there appears to be relevant data in column A?

- Whether the dates in the column A text are in yyyy-mm-dd format or yyyy-dd-mm format. Impossible to tell since none of the day or month values are greater than 12
    Last edited by Peter_SSs; Oct 9th, 2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10
    - Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? Look here
    - If posting vba code, please use Code Tags - like this [code]Paste code here[/code] - or use the # key in the Reply window
    - Read: Forum Rules, Forum Use Guidelines, & FAQ

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this sample data correct, gustavocolli? Because I cannot see the whole line of column A. Like I said in Post #2 I would first go with a Text to Columns.

Excel 2016 Professional (Windows) 64 bit
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    Service line Product Billing Entity Project Date 1
    \\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Allseas - Able LT 2019-06-08.pdf longterm longterm Allseas Able LT
    8-6-2019
    \\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Allseas - Able LT 2019-06-09.pdf
    \\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Boskalis - Bae Caerfyrddin LT 2019 longterm longterm Boskalis Bae Caerfyrddin LT
    1-6-2019
    \\optical\data\201906\longterm\Further Outlook Forecast Boskalis - Bae Caerfyrddin LT 2015 longterm longterm
    \\optical\data\201906\squall\Squall Advisory Report BW Offshore - Squall Advisory for Sendje Berge - 2019-06-12 0243.pdf Squall BW Offshore Squal Advisory for Sendje Berge
    12-6-2019
    \\optical\data\201906\squall\Squall Advisory Report BW Offshore - Squall Advisory for Sendje Berge - 2019-06-12 1549.pdf Squall
    12-6-2019
    Sheet: Sheet1
    Last edited by strooman; Oct 9th, 2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Using: Windows 10 + Microsoft Excel Professional 2016 (English version ! ! !)
    and also an Acer Chromebook with Google spreadsheet (Online).

Some videos you may like

User Tag List