richarddawson

Board Regular
I have two data files, containing very different material, but both of length 45,737 KB. I am running on a 64bit version.

Now that seems to be rather too big a coincidence. I know file sizes are not meant to be limited, but I am concerned in case there is some restriction in fact.

This is important to me as both files will grow with time, and I am concerned I may have future difficulties - perhaps the files becoming unreadable.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Trying to understand your issue. It sounds like your workbook/s are bigger in size than they should be based on the amount of
data/macros you currently have in the workbook ?

If this is the case ...

Make a COPY OF YOUR WORKBOOK. ONLY RUN THIS ON A COPY FIRST !! If it works, then run it on the original file.

Paste this macro into the workbook and run it. It's purpose is to remove extraneous invisible data in the worksheets that EXCEL sometimes
creates without you being aware.

Code:
Sub LipoSuction()
'JBeaucaire (8/3/2009)
Dim LR As Long, LC As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets
    LR = ws.Range("A" & ws.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    LC = ws.Cells(1, ws.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1

'Clear everything below column A last cell and row 1 last cell
        ws.Range(ws.Cells(1, LC), ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, ws.Columns.Count)).Clear
        ws.Range(ws.Cells(LR, 1), ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, ws.Columns.Count)).Clear
Next ws

End Sub

Here is another example that does the same thing. Again, paste macro into your COPY OF WORKBOOK, then run the macro.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/bWTBapIirV2k553ycNe7J8I0AxoSx5ehKeaYpJS2bfY

Upvote 0
Yes, I have inspected the files, frequently in fact.

One contains daily (weekdays only) closing prices for 2,240 companies from 1995 to now. The other contains monthly data for each of those companies for the same dates. But the latter only contains only 7 items per month, while there are about 20 (19 - 22) prices per month, so they should not be the same size.

Upvote 0
Then run the macro Logit posted on a copy of your workbook as suggested to see if it makes a difference (just change the .Clear to .Delete)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. The LipoSuction made no difference to the spreadsheet I thought should be larger.
However the "smaller" one was very odd. Before backing up it was 45,27KB, but after lots of backing up, it has reverted to 14,304KB, unfortunately I only suddenly noticed it so do not know what happened. But I do know I hadn't run the LipoSuction. When I did it reduced it to 14,303KB.

So I think the problem is solved - but Heaven knows how!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back