=sum totals not adding up correctly

Rick88

Hello all,

I have a spreadsheet that tracks flight hours and the totals aren't always adding up correctly. If starting total of hours in cell F15 is 5092.0 and this particular days trip was 1.4 total in cell F16, the new total is showing up as 5093.5 in cell F17. Cell F15 is a locked cell and automatically is fed the new total from the previous sheet, cell F16 gets it's info from the hours & tenths cell and both are locked cells, and cell F17 is a locked cell but has formula =sum(f15:f16) in it. Why would it add 1.4 to the total and show the new total one tenth off?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shine on this for me,

Rick

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Please check to see if F15 and F17 are formatted to display 1 decimal. There may be more than one decimal in each cell; i.e. 5092.035 + 1.432 = 5093.467 which would display as 5093.5

Upvote 0
Please check to see if F15 and F17 are formatted to display 1 decimal. There may be more than one decimal in each cell; i.e. 5092.035 + 1.432 = 5093.467 which would display as 5093.5
Thanks for the advice GR00007, I went and double checked that and they are set for 1 decimal point. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice GR00007, I went and double checked that and they are set for 1 decimal point. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

GR00007,

I got it figured out. The cells were formatted for only 1 decimal point but when I stretched it out to 2 decimal points, one entry was reading 1.43, the beginning number was reading 5092.02 and therefore it saw a total after adding the flight hours of 5093.45 and rounded it up to 5093.5. Thanks for your help in guiding me towards the decimal points.

Rick

Upvote 0
Great thank you for the response - it's usually a good idea to look at the actual value within the cell, especially if you find something unexpected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back