Time Management

oztd61

Hi all, I need some help, please. I am a truck driver and need to record my working hours, rest hours, weekly hours, fortnightly hours plus "long Hours" which are any hours worked after midnight. Not being a wiz with excel even though I use it every day to record just about everything, this project has me stumped.

I can only work 14 hours per day
I can only work 84 hours before a 24 hour break
I can only work 144 hours before having a 24 hours break that must include 2 nights rest off 7 hours between 12 am and 8 am
Plus I can only work 36 "long Hours" (Between 12 midnight and 6 am) per any 144 hour period.

Start time 1010 - Finish time 1318 = 2 hours and 8 minutes.
Start time 1422 - Finish time 1759 = 3 hours and 37 minutes.
Start time 1903 - Finish time 0102 = 5 hours and 59 minutes.

I really need a spread sheet that can work out"-

My Work Hours
My Rest Hours
My Weekly Hours
My Fortnightly Hours
My Long Hours

I would be really appreciative of any help that I can get.

Thanks

oztd61

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hi Oztd61,
to start off: how will you register your hours and what do you expect the workbook to show? If I may come up with an idea: say you have a table where you fill columns a, b and c with e.g. "trip description", "starting time/date" and "end time/date". That should be all your input I guess. Or do you input something else e.g. a date and 1010 for starttime?
What you than would could calculate is a column with "nr of hours in this trip" and "total nr of workhours in this day". When entering a line, you could check with the line before the "number of hours between this trip and the one before". Basically what you want to do is to chop up the questions you want answered into smaller bits.
What you finally want is e.g. the indications of the moment your next trip can start (given the required breaks and longer breaks), but that feels like the cherry on the cake :).
So back to question 1: what do you plan as input?
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0
Thanks Rijsent for getting back to me. I have created a working draft as a starting point and with the help of You Tube muddled along till I sort off got what I wanted and would love to show you but no matter what I try I cannot load a screen shot to the post.

Upvote 0
Hi Oztd,
Check out my signature... Attachments here are impossible, so upload the image/sheet to dropbox/etc and post a link.
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0
I'm following along to see if you can get something working from Rijnsent maybe before I get a solution, but this is an intriguing problem for me. I'll be slowly working on something as I think how to organize the data.

However, I have a few questions.
1) Are these the rules you are working from? https://www.nhvr.gov.au/safety-accr...est-requirements/basic-fatigue-management-bfm
2) If so, I would have follow up question such as:
a) my understanding of the Long Hours is more than simply working between 12am and 6am. It is that, but it is also any time worked after 12 hours in a day, right?
b) you asked for total Rest hours, but are you also wanting the data to check to make sure that the break times are met (e.g., 15 min break after 6 hours of work, etc)?
3) Do you have a starting time that the data should be using as an origin for the 2-week calculations such as a Sunday or Monday at midnight?

Upvote 0
Thank you for getting back to me.
Yes to your question 1)
Question 2a) Very interesting. I believe that it is only any work done between 12am and 6 am, BUT, the whole work diary is very ambiguous as it is very hard to follow and understand. ie in the past a driver had to have a 48 hour rest break away from the truck, but now in this work diary a "48 hour" break is one day and two consecutive night rest between 12am and 8 am consisting of a minimum of 7 hours, so lets break it down
1 24 hour period
2 1st 7 hour continuous break - is this "in" the 24 hour beak or as well as ?
3 2nd 7 hour continuous break - is this also " in" the 24 hour break or after ?
4 if the two breaks are before and after then 24 + 7 + 7 = 38 hours ! - 10 hours short than what we used to have - but is this right?
2b) Yes. Starting from the previous major rest break I want, 1. rest hours per day, 2. rest hours per week, 3. rest hours per fortnight to make sure that I am complying withe the nhvr rules.
3) No, there is no starting time as at present I am on a 3 week "rotating" roster ie day out, day back, day off, day out, day back, day off.

I do have my workings if you would like to see them, unfortunately this forum will not allow postings so if you have a email address i could send them to you. Just leaving for Sydney, back on Tuesday.
Thanks
oztd61

Upvote 0
I've got up to the 24-hour checking, but I'm still ruminating on how to check for the long/night hours and the 84 and 144 hour rules. Having your sample data would help. I tried sending you a message through the forum, but it says your inbox is full. Try sending me your email address by message, and we can go from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks, just got home and made time to get on here. my addy is oztd at iinet.com.au, have no idea if it will go through here or be deleted but try it anyway. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back