time format

biglb79

I'm trying to format cells in hours:minutes. I am putting in 112 to show 112 hours and 0 minutes. I change the format to custom "hh:mm" but when I do that then it shows up as 0:00 and shows; 4/21/1900 12:00:00 AM up above

how do I have it show just 112:00?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
It is important to understand how Excel stores dates/times. They are stored as numeric values, specifically the number of days since 1/0/1900, and time is just the fractional component of one day. Then a date or time format is applied to them, to represent them as dates/times insted of just the raw numbers (which you can see with the General format).

So, if you wanted to enter 112 minutes, you could enter =112/24 (there are 24 hours in one day), and apply a Custom format of [h]:mm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry, I want it to show 112 hours. if I have it show as 112 minutes with the formula above it shows as 16:00

I want it to show as 112:00, and there will be some that have 48:50 or something like that

Upvote 0
sorry, I want it to show 112 hours. if I have it show as 112 minutes with the formula above it shows as 16:00
If you do what I said in my initial reply, it will work.
You cannot enter 112 by itself, unless you enter it in the manner Scott posted above.

So you can enter it one of two ways (and still have it be a valid date/time):
=112/24
or
112:00

Alternatively, you could enter like you said, with a single quote mark before it, but then it will be a Text entry (not a valid date/time entry), and you won't be able to do any computations or sorting on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back