Returning the 2nd, 3rd, 4th values from a cell based on a list

odyssey112

Hi,

I have a list of products in column A that contain different ingredients. I'm looking for a formula that can extract all ingredients found in column A2 from a separate list that I've created. I can find the first from the list and the last but there are some product that might contain up to 4 of the ingredients from my list and I'm struggling to find a formula to get to this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Emily

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I'm looking for a formula that can extract all ingredients found in column A2 from a separate list that I've created.
Does this formula do what you want where I have assumed your ingredients are delimited by a comma (shown in red below)...

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(","&$A2,",",REPT(" ",300)),COLUMNS($B:B)*300,300))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
I have a list of products in column A that contain different ingredients. I'm looking for a formula that can extract all ingredients found in column A2 from a separate list that I've created. I can find the first from the list and the last but there are some product that might contain up to 4 of the ingredients from my list and I'm struggling to find a formula to get to this.

Hi @odyssey112, welcome to the forum!

You mention that you have a list of ingredients, it can be like the following example in sd cell range: G5:G10
And in cell A2 you have information, and in cell B2 you want to put the A2 ingredients that match the ingredient list.
Maybe something like this:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:220.51px;" /><col style="width:140.67px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:98.85px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Product</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Ingredients</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:74px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >1 tablespoon olive oil.   <br />2 medium carrots, chopped. <br />1 garlic clove, minced. <br />3/4 pound salmon fillets</td><td >carrot, garlic</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Ingredients</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >onion</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >carrot</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >garlic</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >tomato</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >pepper</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >salt</td></tr></table>

If it is not something similar, then you should give some examples.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back