Confused with multiple 'IF' formula

Durfun

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to create a budget expenditure worksheet where values are dependent on items in a pick list/drop down list.

In worksheet #2 I've got items in col A each with an associated value ($) in column B.

In worksheet #1 I've got: 1) A drop down list for items (A), 2) a drop down list of value (B) and 3) a free text 'cost $' column C.

I'd like to have column D where it calculates (worksheet #2 (B) minus worksheet #1 column (C).

The difficulty I'm having is how to create a formula that says ' IF A1 = "X" THEN B1 = "X" AND D1=(B1-C1)

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
1. In Sheet 2 if you have a value in column B associated with that item why do you need a drop down list (column B) of the value in Sheet1?
Surely this is a simple lookup, given the item in Sheet1 column A, lookup the item in Sheet2 and return the value in Sheet2 column B

2. Sheet 1 column C is "Free text" saying "Cost $"
So it's text.
You cant perform a mathematical calculation on text (unless the text comprises wholly of a number).
10 in Column C is fine. B1-C1, 40-10 is 30
40 -"Cost $30" will produce an error.

Post a sample spreadsheet with expected results, remove any sensitive data, create a mockup example if necessary.
You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back