Help me with entering times in Excel

halesowenmum

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all.

I've got some cells where I want to enter times of the day (and be able to do calculations on them so they probably can't be text).

I've got the cells formatted as Time and then using Custom and have formatted to hh:mm.

So I do that and it shows like that.

However. When I type into that cell for example "10:00" I don't get 10:00 showing, I get 00:00:00 and in the formula bar it changes to/shows "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]10/01/1900 00:00:00".

I just want users to simply, easily and accurately be able to type in the times they arrive and leave places in a numerical time format.

Do I need VBA or a formula to sort this out and how do I handle am and pm?

Thank you.
[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Works for me based on your description.
You need to type 10:00 including the colon and the minutes, not just 10.
Looks like you just typed 10
If it still doesnt work create a new workbook, do what you did before and see if that cures the problem.
If so it would point to a problem with your workbook/worksheet.

10:00 is 10AM
22:00 is 10PM

Entering AM into the cell would turn it into text

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If I enter 10 AM in a cell (with the space) it doesn't turn it into text, it remains in time format and =ISNUMBER(The cell reference) returns TRUE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Special-K99, I can work with 10:00 and 22:00 that's fine. I'll just provide instructions of how they should enter times into cells.

However....
I've worked lots with end users and I
know
some won't know how to do a colon, some WILL inevitably type "10" for 10.00 am and then it'll all go to pot and I can just imagine the poor quality data I'll be capturing and just trying to think of ways to limit erroneous entries - is there any more I can do to accommodate this requirement?

Upvote 0
@halesowenmum, you can always use Data validation to force the users to enter it in a recognised time format.

Upvote 0
Entering 10AM produces text (note no space)

Yes but the act of adding AM to the cell doesn't turn it to text, it is the lack of the space with the AM so this statement

is incorrect.

Data validation though from the OP's post would do away with these types of issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the above.

I've added data validation in the relevant cells in the form of an instructional Input Message and setting it to flag up as an error if they try and enter the wrong thing - thank you for all your help with this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back