Filter dataset with multiple parameters

acedanger

Hello there, this request is far beyond my capabilities of excel and I'm hoping that it can be done.

I have a dataset as an example below:

ABCDE
1<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Email address<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Domain name<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Confidence score<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Type<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>Position
2<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>email1@example.comexample.com
genericeditor
3<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>email2@example.comexample.com99<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>personal
4editors@example.comexample.com96generic
5<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>1email1@example2.comexample2.com99personal
6<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>1email2@example2.comexample2.com98personal
7<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>1email3@example2.comexample2.com97generic
8<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>editor@example3.comexample3.com56generic
9<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>2email2@example3.comexample3.com66generic
10<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>2email3@example3.comexample3.com22generic

<tbody>
</tbody>

The purpose is to only select 1 email address from the same domain name.

The first priority is to take first take the email that has under "position" with one of the following potential conditions in parentheses (editor, writer, publisher)

if there are no email addresses fitting this criteria then i want to:

take the highest "confidence score" that has type "personal"

if no type "personal" above then:

choose email with the email prefix with one of the following potential conditions in parentheses (blog, connect, contact, editor, editorial,hello, hi, contactus,info, team, support, editors)

so for the example above the results should be:

email1@example.com (as it's an editor)
1email1@example2.com (as it has the highest confidence score in that group that has type "personal")
editor@example3.com (as the group is all type generic and has editor in the prefix)

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I don't believe you can do that by filtering in the truest sense of filtering. It could probably be done with VBA using If...Then...ElseIf statement. to execute an elimination algorithm. Or possibly use the Dictionary method from VBS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks JLG, do you have any references for how that could be done with either of those cases you mention?

Upvote 0
Thanks JLG, do you have any references for how that could be done with either of those cases you mention?
No, I don't believe I want to take that much time to work it out. Sorry.
Regards, JLG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back